Sunday, January 03, 2010

Discipleship Dare Day Three- Openly Christian


Today's commitment dare is to live openly as a Christian before the world. Doing so invites criticism and the scrutiny of those looking for flaws in my lifestyle. One option is to simply become hardened to criticism and shun the critics. The harder path is to do as Jesus did on His cross and forgive those hurling insults and crying out for His blood.

Self- sacrifice is a brother to self-denial. When I deny myself I choose to reject comforts, pleasures or preferences in order to draw closer to Jesus. Self-sacrifice, as I understand it, involves giving of my time talent and treasure for the sake of others. My life must be lived in self-sacrificial partnership with the mission of Jesus in order to be truly Christian.

3 comments:

Richard Earl said...

Christianity in the west is being pushed to the margins where it thrives, so don't write the epitaph yet! The stunning growth in Christ followers in Africa alone should cause you to question your own thesis.

Kalos Books said...

Well Said!

mollyhow said...

God's love is self sacraficial and he truly showed self denial when he gave his only sons life up for the whole world to be saved. We too must die out to our desires and self in order for others to be saved.